Saturday, May 13, 2006

New Era = New Number

My enjoyable winter soccer experience has translated into a wonderful long-term opportunity. In honour of this development I've chosen a new number. While the number five has many endearing and interesting attributes there are a few major ones that drew me to it.

First of all, five is a Fibonacci number. Not only that, it is the only number besides 1 that occurs in it's own position within the Fibonacci Sequence (it's the fifth number). It's also a prime number and the only one that ends in five.

Five is the sum of the digits of my previous number: 23, which was the number worn by one of my all-time favourite sports icons. It's also half of 10, the number worn internationally by many superstar footballers. Traditionally the number five was worn by the central player in either the defense (in the WM formation) or the midfield (in the 2-3-5 formation); both of which are my main positions.

We have five fingers, five toes, and five senses and there are five oceans in the world. Five is the most damaging number on the hurricane scale.

In asian cultures (and many other mythologies) there are five elements, with the fifth usually being somewhat mysterious or elusive. The Torah, the central and most important document of Judaism, is composed of five books.

The musical staff has five lines and the Perfect Fifth is considered the most stable harmony outside of the unison and octave.

The olympic symbol is five rings and five is the center of the numeric keypad.

Who knew a number could be so interesting! :P The 2006 outdoor season begins May 23 and despite some somewhat serious health issues that continue to plague me, I'm excited about the prospects! I just hope the weather is better this year than 2005.

No comments: